Estimator/ Quantity Surveyor
Responsible to Managing Director
Job Purpose/Key Responsibilities: Responsible for evaluating bid specifications and drawings, obtaining all information required to successfully bid and win the project. To manage all costs relating to projects, from the initial calculations to the final figures; seeking to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality. To keep track of any variations to the contract that may affect costs and create reports to show profitability.
• preparing tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities with the architect and/or the client;
• undertaking costs analysis for repair and maintenance project work;
• assisting in establishing a client's requirements and undertaking feasibility studies;
• performing risk and value management and cost control;
• advising on procurement strategy;
• identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks;
• preparing and analysing costing’s for tenders;
• seeking funding sources and submitting bids;
• allocating work to subcontractors;
• providing advice on contractual claims;
• analysing outcomes and writing detailed progress reports;
• valuing completed work and arranging payments;
• maintaining awareness of the different building contracts in current use;
• carrying out feasibility studies;
• writing reports;
• preparing and submitting final accounts;
• making valuations;
• arranging payments to suppliers and contractors;
• providing advice and forecasts about costs;
• supervising staff;
• working within the health and safety regulations;
• practical and logical qualities and a methodical way of thinking;
• a creative and innovative approach to problem-solving;
• strong numeracy and financial management skills and the ability to learn sophisticated design and costing IT packages;
• the ability to write clear and precise reports and to relate complex information in a simple way to a diverse range of people;
• negotiating and team-working skills and the ability to motivate and lead those on site;
• detailed knowledge of past and current building and construction technology, business and legal matters;
Able to show adaptability and take advantage of new ways of working in addition to managing own personal learning and development.
Planning & Organising
Ensuring the successful achievement of results through the effective planning and management of resources, which are in line with the organisation’s strategic direction. The ability to think through and adopt a clear, sensible step-by step approach to planning and organising work making effective use of time, resources in order to get the job done as effectively as possible.
The ability to analyse in a logical way and identify patterns and connections which are not immediately obvious. The ability to sift out the essential elements from a mass of complex information and integrate and synthesize ideas and information into a coherent whole.
Striving for Excellence
Desires to improve performance, do a task better (faster, more effectively or at a lower cost) by committing self in accomplishing challenging objectives/targets or competing against more stretching self-defined standards of excellence.
Working collaboratively and sharing information within and across Aston Heating to contribute to the effective delivery of services. Building and maintaining good working relationships with Line Manager and colleagues to foster team spirit, commitment to the team and achievement of shared goals.
Focus on discovering and acting on the client’s needs. A commitment to putting the client first. Clients may include ‘internal’ staff and external clients.
Able to travel throughout the U.K. and stay away overnight on an as and when required basis.